|Previous document:||Playing The Peaceful Game|
|Next document:||Relief Resources|
|More documents:||How to Play Simcountry|
I noticed that there is currently no system for approval ratings of the populace. I believe that this is a very important element in real life so it should also be in the game.
Government Approval should be based on the defensive, offensive, health, education, and welfare indexes (the higher the better). Change should be slow, long-term success should count more than short-term.
Government type should change what factors influence approval ratings, for example:
A repressive government's (i.e. Dictatorship) approval would be based more on its military
A free government's (i.e. Democracy) approval would be based more on its education and health systems
When you register a new country, buy a country, or take a c3 you should start out with decent approval. When you conquer a country you should start out with poor approval to reflect the fact that you are an occupier.
It can have some uses in the game:
1. They can be used to limit wars by making it so the government would be unable to declare war on neighbors if they have a poor approval rating.
2. This can increase the importance of government types
3. Approval ratings should change as a result of international pressure. Perhaps give the security council a resolution called "Declare Rogue State" that decreases approval in a country, possibly limiting the country's ability to declare war.
4. high country debt and low employment should lower approval ratings.
5. If approval ratings get low enough a secured mode country should have its secured mode turned off to reflect the desire of its people for another government.
6. If (as a result of gross negligence or whatever) a country's approval reaches 0% the leader should be ousted, (this should be almost impossible to happen without a combination of low indexes, international pressure, and massive debt)
Approval of <25% should be considered dangerous and have negative consequences.
Approval of 25% - 50% should be enough to run a country though not declare war.
Approval of >50% should allow one to declare wars.
Approval of >75% should carry a small reward such as a little more tax revenue.
It should be fairly easy to keep a 50% approval rating unless you are grossly mismanaging your country.
In summary, this system would increase the importance of government type, increase the power of the security council, reward those who manage their countries well, and punish those players who have no clue what they are doing. Vote yes if you want a realistic evaluation of your government and want to limit the power of those who can't run their countries. Vote no if you don't think you should be rewarded for doing well and punished for being grossly incompetent.
38 gamers voted for the proposal.
18 gamers voted against the proposal.
The proposal has been ACCEPTED.
This is a great proposal and it does specify how it can be used to influence the way the president is functioning. The approval rating could be computed from the current indexes with several "flavors" that depend on the type of government. We will add to the game.